Wednesday, October 3, 2012

The Price of Sex: Mimi Chakarova


Human trafficking is a global issue - a major issue and a dangerous one. In our recent post, you can read about a website entitled Slavery Footprint, which allows you to calculate how many slaves work for you based on your lifestyle. But human trafficking has many faces and the one that affects women worldwide in the most appalling manner is sex trafficking. 

Sex trafficking is an international phenomenon, but it has become particularly widespread in Eastern Europe and the ex-USSR nations after the fall of the Soviet Union. As someone who was born in a post-communist nation in that region, I find it necessary to raise awareness of this sex slavery hotspot. The short clip above was compiled by Mimi Chakarova, a Bulgarian photojournalist and author of "The Price of Sex" - her feature-length documentary about women who were sold into sex slavery. You can watch the trailer below:


What are some of the main reasons women are still being trafficked and this illegal trade in humans continues? As Anna Revenco, who is in charge of an NGO called "La Strada" says in the video above:
  • discrepancy between poor countries and rich countries
  • discrepancy between access to justice
  • high levels of corruption

Unless we at least begin to tackle these problems, sex trafficking will continue. So what are we still waiting for? We must put immense pressure on our local representatives, our politicians, our legal systems to change this nonsensical hierarchy and challenge the idea that certain countries (along with their citizens) deserve better than others.

Now, let us have a look at several of Mimi Chakarova's stunning photographs documenting the vile world of sex trafficking.





If you would like to get involved with "The Price of Sex", just have a look at the different ways in which you can support this worthwhile project.

Don't forget to follow BASI for more information about sex trafficking!

22 comments:

jardelle said...


Your blog is very interesting and so nice...would you like to follow each other? I followed you...keep in touch sweety !!!

Chi said...

great post, I really enjoyed reading! very informative :)

Rebecca Clairine said...

nice post !

thank you for ur comment on my blog ,
xoxo,
Rebecca
http://rebeccaclch.blogspot.com

Jessica Lois Tiara said...

nice post! and great video


check my blog?
http://scarlette-on.blogspot.com/

Marti said...

hi sweetie!!
Many thanks for your comment on my blog, pls give me more infe about your website,anyway I want to be a follower and I you need my help in order to publish thus association pls say to me!lot.of.love!!!

Karolina UsieĊ„ said...

hey dear
nice blog
thank you visit and comment :):*
beautiful photos !:)

monkeydrama said...

Golly! Amazing post.

I really feel sex trafficking should be stopped in any way possible. Here in India, the poor women, the unmarried girls get kidnapped day by day to become slaves of human trafficking.

I'll help in any way I can!

Much love,
bob

Fabrizia said...

I like this post so much: so intelligent and interesting!
What about following each other? Cosa mi metto???
Win your favorite iphone case!!!

Ionela said...

I love your blog! This post is awesome!
Check out my blog, write your opinion and maybe...follow?
Hey! Nice post!
I’ve done a page of my blog on Facebook. If you want to be updated about the last posts on my blog, like it!
Here is the address: http://www.facebook.com/ThisIsWhatICallFashion
Thank you in advance!
xoxoxo

Every Day Rachel said...

Greta post! Now following.

http://everydayrachel21.blogspot.com/

Monika Ozdoba said...

Hello Dear! I like your blog so much! This is my first visit here but definitely not the last :) Would you like to follow each other? :)


XOXO,
Monika

clynesio said...

thanks for visiting my blog
i already followed..! ^_^
hope you'll follow back..


http://cutemedpassion.blogspot.com

blackberryfashion said...

Interesting post. I think this problem is enourmous in the world :(

http://anna-and-klaudia.blogspot.com/

sharee said...

interesting
and i love ur blog too so I followed you..
hope u wont mind to follow me too! :)

xoxo

http://sunkissedqueen.blogspot.com

Ali W. said...

gosh, this is so sad. It's so great that you are keeping people informed on this issue! Awesome blog!

Chris Ed said...

Interesting post, nice you wrote about that!
xx chris

Antonella C'est moi said...

great post, kisses
LA MODE OUI C'EST MOI
FACEBOOK
BLOGLOVIN
TWITTER

Nathan Niche said...

Actually genuinely enjoyed reading this post. So glad I clicked on your comment that led me back to your blog, and oh yeah I totes followed you since your posts' contents are info and image juicy so expect to be seeing some regular comments from me, you don't have to follow me back don't worry. Ok, I've just posted up a new outfit post of me reinterpreting the "school boy" look, this is as conservative as I'm gonna get lol, tell what you think ;)

xx The Provoker
http://www.the-provoker.com/2012/10/geek-chiq.html

Telma said...

Nice :)

http://trapeziovermelho.blogspot.pt

Tina said...

I love your blog so much! This is my first visit here but definitely not the last :) Would you like to follow each other? If you agree, pls write me on my blog. Thanks :)

XOXO,

Tina
http://www.makeupaddict.sk

Mitha Komala said...

nice article dear! i do agree with you ): you have an awesome blog! <3

Letters To Juliet

Jessica said...

Interesting blog! Thanks for following me, I will follow back.

http://californiamadness.blogspot.com.es/